Network and Systems Administration
The IT Manager Operations is responsible for managing school-wide telecommunication networks and computer systems, server administration, information security and risk management, and lifecycle management of IT assets including end user computers, infrastructure network and system equipment, and software licenses. The incumbent also provides technical and operational support to end users via service desk. This is an essential role for continued running of IT operations, to prevent problems and to improve systems’ performance, ensuring high availability of all critical systems and network infrastructure and maintain a high level of security and performance controls. This position must be available and willing to work outside scheduled hours in emergencies.
CORE DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Network and Systems Administration
- Responsible for managing the operation of all IT infrastructure systems, servers, and network equipment
- Act as a lead in the design and implementation of IT infrastructure systems, providing highly skilled technical expertise in systems analysis, network planning, engineering and architecture design
- Install, configure, test, maintain and upgrade operating systems and hardware including various system servers, switches, routers, desktop products, cables, wireless equipment, surveillance cameras and IP phones
- Design and implement customization of system environment to meet the needs and improve the overall performance of the system. Support and work collaboratively with the application system development team.
- Monitor network traffic, diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware, software, or other network and system problems.
- Responsible for standardization of operating procedures, develop technical standards, security protocols and group policies
- Create and update documentation for technical architecture, system operating manuals, system administration processes and procedures
- Assist Service Desk team with troubleshooting and resolving escalated issues
- Work with external vendors and service providers to troubleshoot issues which can not be resolved in-house
2. Information Security and Risk Management
- Responsible for protecting computers, networks, systems and data against threats, ensuring integrity, accuracy, access and security of all system hardware and operating systems
- Manage user accounts, user groups, machine accounts and group policies in the Active Directory
- Maintain the firewalls, email and internet security
- Evaluate the effectiveness of existing security measures, such as firewalls, password policies and intrusion-detection systems.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures, establish and enforce security policies
- Contribute to the creation and design of the disaster recovery plan and other strategic initiatives, develop contingency plans to deal with emergencies
- Ensure that all distributed systems have proper backup and recovery solutions implemented
3. IT Asset Management
- Responsible for lifecycle management of school’s IT assets from requisition through retirement; tracking and managing all IT hardware and software inventory stock and license information
- Create and manage standard images of endpoint computers
- Manage the deployment of standard images and new software updates to network clients such as staff/student laptops, office desktops and other endpoint devices installed at school facilities
- Formulate and implement processes and procedures for tracking and analyzing inventory data, conduct and report hardware asset reconciliation activities on a timely basis
- Ensure all serial numbers and ID tags are entered into asset/inventory management system and ensure information is up-to-date, accurate, and auditable
- Manage vendor relations and performance, monitor contractual agreements and service levels
4. Other Duties and Projects
- Participate in various projects to continually improve/upgrade school’s IT infrastructure and operations
- Serve as project lead in the deployment of infrastructure upgrades, and new service planning and rollout
- May be required to work shift rotations, provide after regular school hours support as necessary as well as respond to pager/mobile phone during regular school hours.
- This position is expected to perform at manager level of technical proficiency providing IT services to staff and student end users. Consequences of error could translate to prolonged downtimes of mission critical applications at the individual, departmental or workgroup level.
- Reports to the Director of IT. Works independently or as part of a team to achieve results. Normally performs regular assignments using own judgment and following school’s policy, while keeping supervisor informed as necessary. May supervise staff members within the IT operations scope or team members on a project basis. This position requires contact with external hardware/software/system vendors and service providers.
Education and Work Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, or equivalent formal training, work experience and certificates.
- A minimum of 6 years of work experience in IT including 4+ years in network/systems/infrastructure management, 2+ years of information security and risk management, 2+ years of IT asset management or service desk support.
- Following professional certifications considered asset; Microsoft (MCSA/MCSE in IT Infrastructure/Windows/Windows Server/Cloud Platform), Cisco (CCNA/CCNP), Brocade (BNA), VMware (VCP/VCAP), ITIL (Foundation in IT Service Management)
Strong Technical Knowledge and Skills in;
- Network Technologies (Firewall/LAN/VLAN/WAN/Wireless/VPN/VoIP)
- Firewall, Endpoint Protection (SOPHOS SG UTM)
- Network Storage (Dell), Network Switches (Brocade BNA)
- Server Virtualization (VMware vSphere 5.5+)
- Server Systems (Microsoft Windows Server 2012/2016, PowerShell/Active Directory/DNS/DHCP/Group Policy/IIS)
- Backup and Disaster Recovery Solutions
- Information Security, Risk Management
- IT Asset Lifecycle Management (HW/SW, install/configure/update/repair/inventory)
- Workstations and End Devices (Windows 8.1/10, Office 2016, various PC applications)
- Endpoint Systems Management/Deployment (KACE K1000/K2000)
- Cloud Platforms (Azure or AWS), SQL Server, Office 365 Admin, Exchange, SharePoint
Nice-to-Have Skills & Experience
- Video Surveillance & Access Control (Avigilon), VoIP Phones (TOSHIBA), PA Systems, HVAC Systems
- System implementation project experience in full development life cycle
Soft Skills and Job Competencies
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills for diagnosis and troubleshooting, seeks root causes, develops and implements practical and timely solutions.
- Result-oriented, establishes clear and specific goals, focusing efforts on achieving quality results
- Accountable and reliable, takes appropriate actions to ensure obligations are met.
- Good communication skills clearly and effectively transmit technical concepts and ideas orally and in writing.
- Demonstrates attention to detail and accuracy, meticulous and quality-oriented. Structured, defines and organises tasks, responsibilities, and priorities.
- Highly motivated, voluntarily takes the first steps to identify and address existing and potential obstacles, issues, and opportunities.
- Quick understanding and learning skills, keep up with industry trends and emerging technologies, invest in personal and professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your updated resume clearly indicating the required skills to email@example.com, caption ‘IT Manager - Operations’ in the subject. Please include any projects, assignments or personal achievements that display your capabilities to meet the requirements. We thank all applicants and please note only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- Information Technology: 6 years
- Network and Systems Administration: 2 years
- Desktop User Support: 2 years
- IT Asset Management: 2 years