Dear Bodwell students and Parents,
Congratulations on completing the Spring 2021 Semester!
We are extremely proud of our students for all of their accomplishments and successes during such a challenging school year. At the same time, none of this could have happened without the support and cooperation of you, the parents! We would like to thank all parents for your patience, calm and trust as we navigated our way through the COVID-19 pandemic. All of your communication and encouragement to your children over these many months was certainly a big part of their success.
We would also like to extend a very special congratulations to all graduates who finished all their requirements last week and have departed Bodwell with their Dogwood Diploma. Well done! We wish you all the very best on your post-secondary plans and programs.
More good news to share! From July 1, thanks to very high vaccination rates and a resulting dramatic decline in COVID-19 cases, British Columbia has been able to enter Step 3 of its restart plan. This allows for many restrictions to decrease and for near-normal life to begin once again. Our thoughts are with the many people throughout Canada and around the world impacted by the pandemic over the past 15 months, and we wish all nations a speedy recovery.
As many students are now departing for home, it is a good time to review our past school year, and to begin to look ahead to September.
- We made it through the Pandemic’s Third Wave! Frequent updates were provided to parents at every important step of the way as we navigated the challenges together.
- Over 170 students were taken for a COVID test as a precaution. Meanwhile, thanks to the safety measures and everyone’s cooperation, we kept our school exposures to COVID-19 far to a minimum and avoided transmission within our school population.
- After safely and creatively offering boarding programming throughout the year, we were able to gradually begin reducing on-campus safety restrictions. Students are now able to leave campus after submitting their leave information.
- Nearly all staff were vaccinated with first dose and many are now receiving second doses. 200+ students were vaccinated with their first dose.
- All staff were oriented to International Baccalaureate (IB) Middle Years Program, and a team of teachers were trained for their subject areas in IB to launch in September for grades 8 & 9.
- We held
- National Math Contests
- Numeracy Graduation Assessments (with teacher-led support sessions) – with 12% Bodwell test-takers in January scoring the highest score of 4 compared to 9.5% in other independent schools and 6% among all BC schools!
- Our in-house English Progress Assessment (EPA), tracking students’ improvement in academic English.
- G-Block continued to offer academic support & active learning, supplemented by IELTS drop-in sessions on Saturdays.
- Our Graduation Ceremony & Celebration was held with special modifications, with recording keepsakes shared with parents and students.
- Students presented their final Capstone project and shared their career interests at the CLE Career Fair. Meanwhile, the Art Show featured students’ art creations.
- Bodwell students won 1st Place in the Canada division of the NASA Space Station Design Competition.
- School events held: Be Well @ Bodwell, Bruins Talk, Pride Week, Anti-Bullying Day, Ultra-Violet Carnival (see video here!), Bodwell’s 30th Anniversary Launch.
- Senior students gained university acceptance to top Canadian and worldwide universities.
- Our final Colours Assembly gave students a chance to recap the school year, recognize student accomplishment, and to mark important events happening in Canada. Click below to watch!
- We celebrated the launch of Bodwell’s 30th Year of school history. Many more commemorative events in the year to come!
- On-campus PCR testing was arranged to allow departing students to conveniently meet requirements to fly home this past week.
For students staying in Vancouver this summer, July academic courses run July 5-30, Monday to Friday, in-person from 9:00 am to 2:30 pm. Course offerings include:
- Environmental Studies 11
- Creative Writing & Literary Studies 10
- Career Life Education, and more.
A non-credit Leadership course will take students to volunteer in the community and learn about greater local and global issues.
Active Learning in August
Required for all boarding students staying in August or arriving in August after quarantine, programming will be offered in modules throughout August:
Monday to Friday: 12:30 – 3:30
- Week 1: August 3-6
- Week 2: August 9-13
- Week 3: August 16-20
- Week 4: August 23-27
Sign-up for modules will begin on July 8.
For those students returning to Bodwell this fall, or for new students just starting out their studies, we are excited for the school year to come! Here is what we are anticipating.
- We have been advised that schools in British Columbia are expected to return to “near-normal” this coming school year, thanks to the high vaccination rates in BC. This will include:
- a full return to in-class instruction
- no need for Living Cohorts
- less need for physical distancing.
- We will receive updates from the British Columbia Ministry of Education in mid-August regarding detailed school restart plans and safety requirements.
- We anticipate that Daily Health Checks, policies around around staying home when sick, and some use of masks will remain in place in September, pending public health advice.
- We will continue to use the power of Microsoft Teams to integrate into classroom instruction, and to provide remote learning for those in quaratine and as needed.
- What will be back this Fall
- All-school in-person gatherings & events
- Athletics & Sports Teams
- Saturday Enrichment
- Field trips & guest speakers
- Camping & overnight outing
- Community volunteering
- Many other initiatives and events to promote active learning!
COVID-19 Vaccination Updates
- By September, nearly all of our staff will be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Students who are staying in BC in July and August will have the opportunity to be fully vaccinated.
- At this time, we do not have a vaccination requirement for students coming to boarding. However, we will continue to facilitate the vaccination of students through nearby clinics and vaccination centres.
- For students arriving from overseas, it appears that international students who are fully vaccinated with Canada-approved vaccines do not need to complete a 2-week quarantine. Please refer to the Government of Canada for the latest advice, and keep informing us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your latest arrival information.
- Regular annual vaccinations (for other non-COVID-19 illnesses) will resume in late-September on campus for those students who may be missing any routine shots, with the help of Vancouver Coastal Health.
|June 30||End of July 2021 classes|
|August 3||August active learning modules begin|
|September 7||Fall 2021 Semester Begins|
Please refer to Bodwell Website for further updates and news about Bodwell’s 30th Anniversary Year!